RCU Forums - View Single Post - Dirt in pull start housing, how do you keep it out?
Old 05-29-2006, 07:41 PM
bigger the better

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dirt in pull start housing, how do you keep it out?

ORIGINAL: jeepfreak1972

I will say it again and for the last time. Remove all grease. It requires total disassembly of the starter. Then use the dry graphite lock lube. I run in extreemly dusty conditions. My track is made of black dirt that is like silt when dry and I run in the sand dunes of Lake Michigan. This fix NEARLY eliminates the starter issues while allowing the starter to be left on. You have to clean and relube now and then but I can go many tanks before I need to do any thing to it. I personaly want my starter on to keep stones from entering the flywheel area and grass as I do run in those types of places sometimes too.
Do as above. The light grease on the starter now accumulates the dust and dirt if you use graphite it will by dryer and less apt to stick to the lubed parts. If you can use a can of compressed air it will blow it out just enough for it to work. Mine started to stick and fail I blew it out and wala it worked like new and I have not gone with the above - Yet - .

As for running without the starter:

Rocks, pebbles, stones + Rotor fins = BAD[:@]

Removal would be great if you will not be in any gravel or small stones but, if you are you will break the rotor fins.[&o]
And your right DOG if you remove it what will you do with the side shroud bolt?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87659.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	468340   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53686.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	468341