RCU Forums - View Single Post - TP 4200 vs. TP 5300 LiPo Batteries
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2006, 10:08 AM
EHFAI

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: TP 4200 vs. TP 5300 LiPo Batteries

Hi Xavier

I'm still a newbie to E, but have 150+ E pattern flights so far with the F3A C50-14, Acro-90, 5400 Falcon 5S2P(2), and APC 21x14E. Like Magne I fly at sea level - but my results are a bit different. I see typical power consumption of 3300 mAh (rarely above 3700 mAh in the worst conditions) for P-07 flights of 8 to 8.5 min. Flying style can greatly affect power consumption - more full throttle - more power consumed. I suspect that lower pitch props encourage more throttle to maintain desired speed. Anyway, my results suggest the 4200 packs could work and provide the desired weight saving. Higher % discharge might shorten pack life - but there're no clear data with the newer packs on this.

Another consideration is that a motor (with things being proper) will turn about the same rpm/v @ various loads with current draw and heat output varying. At altitude the prop will need to be increased in pitch / diameter to provide desired speed / thrust at power loads experienced at sea level. A starting point might be to find a prop that produces a max throttle current draw near 60A. Care will also be necessary in providing cooling airflow - as thinner air cools less efficiently.

Earl