RCU Forums - View Single Post - Hawk Pro-what else do I need?
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2006, 12:49 AM
rf_reggie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hawk Pro-what else do I need?

syclic knows what he is talking about. The Hawk pro is only my second heli (like you) and I think its a great bird for the price.

The plastic fan must only be used with a one-way hex wand. The advantages of the al fan is you dont have to buy a one-way wand, it has better balance, it grabs a little more air and it wont break if it comes un-screwed off the crankshaft. The plastic fan will be destroyed if it comes loose, that why I suggested the spare. In both cases, the clutch must be properly locktite'd to the crankshaft by cleaning the clutch and crankshaft threads very well with brake cleaner or iso-alcohol before applying locktite.

A regular starter will work with most starter wands. About the cordless drill, only use one with adjustable torque set only high enough to start. It would be bad to force an engine that is flooded / hydrolocked with a 24V Dewalt.

Ball-link pliers: I'm not real hip on these, I have the $6 and $14 (RVO1005). The $14 are nice but too long to fit some locations where the $6 one will.

A run-up stand is really a nice to have thing. I built and used one because I had little help available. It consists of a rigid post (1/2 to 3/4-inch steel pipe) with a base secured to the ground. The top would have a sort of attachment for the heli skids and be high enough to place the rotor over your head. Its a great way to get personal with the heli at full throttle to tune the engine, set pitch/throttle curves, dial in head speed, check for vibrations, leaks, etc. If you devise the attachment base to spin freely, you can get the tail rotor mechanics set alot easier once the rotor speed is dialed in.

IMHO, a sim is pretty much required and pretty much obsoletes training gear. But t-gear is cheap and helpful if the heli's not trimmed yet, for real nose in hover and 8's especially on windy days.