RCU Forums - View Single Post - Simple Reciever Question
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2006, 06:07 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Simple Reciever Question

Three things for success when mixing receiver brands with your Futaba Tx if your Tx was purchased through the North American market (which means it is negative modulation shift only)

1. All FM tx's and rx's must function on either positive or negative modulation shift and both the Tx and Rx must function on the same shift or the combination will not work. The choice of modulation shift is an arbitrary choice by the manufacturer and it makes no difference in performance.

2. Modulation type (AM, FM(ppm) and PCM) must match you cannot use a Fm rx for example with an AM tx. It interesting when we get to PCM units as all brands use propriatory encodeing and there is no brand mixing among tx and rx's possible. Even within the same brand not all will work as there are differences between newer and older units.

3. Band and frequency must match. Both the Tx and the Rx must be intended for the same band i.e. in the US 27mhz, 72mhz air only , 75 mhz surface only etc. You cannot use a 27 band crystal in a 72 band rx and expect it to work.

The Tx and receiver of course must have the same actual frequency or channel number. For the record in the US yes you can change rx crystals at will however you cannot change a crystal in the tx with out a retune. It is illegal and goes far beyond whether or not it just works in your radio but how we affect commercial primary users between each of the 72 band hobby channels.

So You see your question if far from simple and I have only just outlined it a little. So When ordering another brand Rx assure that it is in your case a negative shift unit (many manufacturers sell products in both shifts as well as some selectable Rx's or automatic select.).

Confirm the rx you are ordering is the same band as well as the same frequency you need.

One last thought when you need to ask a question about your Tx, just identifying it a a six channel Futaba is of almost no help at all. That could litterly mean dozens of models past and present.

John