RCU Forums - View Single Post - Futaba AM vs. Futaba FM w/Hitec Mod
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2003, 04:26 AM
RBardin
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba AM vs. Futaba FM w/Hitec Mod

Thanks for the replies! I thought this combination of Futaba/Hitec might be suspect. I am not sure if my system is what is referred to as "Dual-conversion" but it is definitely narrow-band. If I understand that whole thing correctly, the transmitter must be gold-stickered and if the receiver is too, then it is dual conversion?

There is also the fact that my old AM set is probably more suceptible to interference - worst part is, I own an 8UAP and had a spare FM receiver that I could have used...I just never had any reason before to worry about flying my trusty old 5UA before now.
Joe, you do have a valid point and I'll probably shelf the set, its not worth wasting another airframe due to folks who won't or don't follow the rules through b/c of ignorance or indifference.

Ladyflyer, I think you and Ryan hit the nail on the head - I also think this guy took someone else down who had a newer model Futaba basic AM 4-channel radio. I don't think the person who took me out knew that this is not o.k. to do. He was very nice and helpful when after the crash we tried to figure out what went wrong. He said he bought the radio with no module in it and bought the synthesized Hitec module for it afterwards. Since I was unsure, I could not fault him on the spot. I now think he should own up and offer to pay. I'm also concerned that he find out that he's indeed operating illegally so he can fix it and nobody else loses any more stuff or worse, gets injured.

Where online or in print, I can find the FCC rules stating that the Futaba/Hitec combo is not approved for use? I want to absolutely sure before taking any action...

Thanks,
Rusty