RCU Forums - View Single Post - Carl Goldberg Super Chipmunk build
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2006, 06:08 AM
RVM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Carl Goldberg Super Chipmunk build

The last thing I did was build the balances for the elevators and the rudder. These are laminated balsa, which I did with aliphatic glue. To prevent warping and get a good bond, I put the parts under a fair amount of weight with solid, flat surfaces on the bottom and top. I used a sheet of wax paper underneath and folded over the top to keep any glue that might seep out from sticking to the MDF.

That's about all I was able to get done. The glue has to fully cure before I can sand the parts down to be ready for sheeting anyway.

While most of the wood in this kit actually seems to be quite good and appropriate (light balsa for sheeting, heavier balsa for ribs and doublers etc.), I am disappointed so far because of the very inconsistent sizing of the sticks and, to a lesser degree, the central supports for the horizontal stab. Also the fact that some of the parts didn't line up with the plans, or with each other, was irritating. I hope this is not something I will have to deal with throughout construction.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26275.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	498497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71229.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	498498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52470.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	48.4 KB