Thread: WACO YMF
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2006, 08:45 PM
BULL-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

ORIGINAL: Jim_McIntyre

Ok Bull, I don't think anyone is attacking/defending anymore.

Good info, it doesn't look like it would be too difficult to modify the nose of the Waco to hide one of those behind a dummy engine, nice idea, how does tha balance work out with this setup? I know my 1/6 came out with no need for lead in the nose running an OS .90 (surprised me all to he double hockeysticks). My 1/5 will be sporting my old faithful OS 120 from my fuel-soaked, retired Taylorcraft, I hope I get as lucky with the CG but I doubt it even though I tried to keep the weight down in the empenange (lightening holes etc.).

The gasser I was talking about weighs 35 / 36 oz. An os 120 weighs right around 33.5oz with stock muffler so the difference is around 2.5oz. My best friend has a saito 180 on his and it balanced out fine and weighs about the same as an OS 120. Difference is cost of fuel... His saito call for 20 /20 and at $25 a gallon vs $3 it's quite a difference. Things you can do with gas is move the tank back on the CG unlike standard nitro you need the tank on the level with the carb which usually means mounting it up to the nose in the center of the firewall in front of the CG... thus making the plane nose heavy when full... 14oz of gas with a 25cc will run for close to 20 -30 min... Nitro you will be thinking of bringing it down after 8-10 min

I don't think you will be too bad with the OS 120 on the nose it weighs close to the same as the saito 180. You might have to add a little lead. My friend over built his a little and came out heavy, but still flys and lands like it's on pillows. He has done some mods to it since this photo...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92188.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	507466   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79037.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	507467   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57519.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	63.0 KB