RCU Forums - View Single Post - New scratch builder
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2006, 09:56 AM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New scratch builder

ORIGINAL: RVM

Thanks for the great advice!

What about the Hostetler plans is particularly complicated or difficult? I don't mind recutting, but wood can get expensive with too many mistakes.

Speaking of tools, and specifically concerning a scroll saw and disc sander, do you have any specific recommendations as far as brand and model are concerned? I don't want to spend a ton, but I also believe you generally get what you pay for.
They are not really difficult, but he often uses built up constructions (as you mention, a truss fuse side for instance) instead of a lite ply sheet with holes cut into it. I prefer the built up style myself (lighter, stronger, more efficient structures), but people expecting a Goldberg style lite ply box are often overwhelmed by the cutting and fitting required. You sound like that won't bother you, so you should be OK. And you can always ask questions if you are unsure of anything.

I have fairly cheap Chinese no-name stuff for both my sander and scroll saw. I figure if I ever wear them out, then I can justify spending more on a higher-end machine. It hasn't happened yet... The sander is a combination 4" belt x 6" disc machine (very nice to have both) that was $100 on sale at a local chain store (Canadian Tire, if you know it) and the scroll saw is a House of Tools house brand 16" unit that was less than $200 I think (it's been a few years). The only thing I really recommend for the scroll saw is to get one with variable speed control. I have it and find it is essential for getting good cuts in thin materials like we use. The really cheap units don't have it and I am glad I avoided them. I forgot to mention one other tool that is very helpful and greatly increases the quality of your work - a drill press. You don't need a monster one unless you plan on doing heavier work or metal work and even a basic bench unit will help a lot for keeping holes centered and true. The only thing to note is if you want to do any metal work with it, you need one with a much wider speed range and slower rpm settings than for wood work.

Mark