RCU Forums - View Single Post - 6V Charger?
Thread: 6V Charger?
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2006, 08:24 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 6V Charger?

You have two things that are going to change on your setup: You're raising the voltage and going to a much higher capacity. I'm guessing that your 4.8 volt charger is one of those Futaba wall warts that is either 50 or 100 ma charge rate. When you combine your lower voltage and low charge rate on that 6 volt 2000 mah pack, it will take a long time to charge. I have used those wall warts on my 1950 mah NoBS 6 volt NiMh packs but I had to charge for over 40 hours (1950/50 = 39 hours. Then add 10 hours for the form charge and reduced voltage). I have another Futaba wall wart that is 100 ma charge rate at 4.8 volts and works a little better (1950/100 = 19.5 hours). I use this one for form charging and it does charge the pack to full capacity. It just takes a long time.

So you are best to get a good charger that will do 6 volt and 2000 mah. I use the Accucycle Elite and it works great. Also get yourself a wall wart that is able to do 6 volt packs and has a 200ma charge rate. NoBS sells them for about $20. I never got one and wish I did. NiMh packs need a good form charge to work the best (a couple form charges is even better). Check out NoBS packs, they are top notch. It's all I use these days.

ORIGINAL: mcmike

ok, i still don't have an answer... does the charger have to put out 6 volts? or can I use the same charger I use for my standard 4.8 batterys?

anybody know?
thanks!
mcmike