RCU Forums - View Single Post - Gap Seal Tape - What is your opinion?
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2006, 06:58 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Gap Seal Tape - What is your opinion?

I've seen tape on other's airplanes and wouldn't ever try it simply because of a number of reasons.

One guy only taped the gap from one side. The exposed tape picked up grass, dirt, bugs, discarded cigarette butts, empty softdrink cans, an old license plate, a sweaty T-shirt (a RedMax Fuels one), and one of the club's lawn chairs. The good thing about only doing one side of the gap that was proven by that poorly done job was that the oil from his engine soon started killing the tape's stickum. Unfortunately, the first junk that came unglued was the lawn chairs and he was flying over the pits at the time. I would suggest that you not use tape unless you're going to tape both sides or your club has no lawn chairs.

Another guy taped both sides. His ailerons really needed the gaps filled, but the tape wound up popping. It might have been where it was stuck together well, and was trying to hold the ailerons rigid, or where it wasn't stuck together too well and was popping apart every time it was flexed one way, or popping together when flexed the other, or apart, or together or not.

Personally, I wouldn't want to use the stuff, in spite of the fact that the club now has no lawn chairs any more, at least intact ones.