RCU Forums - View Single Post - CARL GOLDBERG 77" EDGE 540
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2006, 07:00 PM
rv9-a

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CARL GOLDBERG 77" EDGE 540

I am just finishing up a 77" Goldberg Edge 540. I have built several Goldberg kits over the years and found them to be excellent products. After a 5 or 6 year rest from R/C I decided to jump in again. My first choice was a Goldberg Super Chipmunk not realizing they were now a "new company" and the quality of the kit was not the same. With all the griping I did about the "new Goldberg" people were suprised that I bought their Edge. So far I am not disapointed. The construction is excellent, the covering is very good with only a few bubbles to be ironed out and some edges to be ironed down. I am not impressed in the painting, my cowling should have been rejected, the silver was messed up when they tried to repaint a couple of spots. The bands miss lining up on one side by allmost an 1/8". The paint is very easily chipped and there are spots on the cowling and the landing gear that are chipped. The wheel pants look pretty good but suspect they also will chip easily. I am useing a DA-50 and while fitting the cowl found that I needed to reduce the overall length of the motor and mounts by at least 1/4" to get the cowl to fit. Luckily a machinist at work was able to make 4 motor standoffs a quarter inch shorter. I also had to enlarge the hole in the firewall to clear the carb. It was also necessary to remove part of the bottom of the engine box to clear the Slimline smoke muffler. With all the carving I had to do on the engine box and firewall I re-inforced the box with fiberglas tape and epoxy.
I am useing all Futaba gear with S 9451's on all control surfaces except the rudder which has a S9152, throttle and ignition use standard servos.
As soon as I can get a couple of fuel dots I will finish plumbing up the fuel and smoke system, check the CG and go flying........keep you posted