RCU Forums - View Single Post - Raster to Vector question for Autocad users
Old 09-18-2006, 07:42 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Raster to Vector question for Autocad users

There is a default visual program for looking at images within Autocad. However, if you also have a photo altering software upon your computer, then Acad will bring in the image in that native format first. Before loading up Acad onto your P.C. first load up the image software like Micrografx or Adobe. Then when Acad is installed it will do a look through your system trying to find certain file types, and ask at installation time, if you want to associate any file brought into Acad with a certain software.

If Acad is installed first, and you then install one of the photo altering programs, quite often it will ignore looking for them. I understand, there is a system to which you can make the association, but I have never done it once I under stood the proper order of installation.

When the image comes into Acad, you get one chance and one chance only to rotate it, resize it, or somehow alter it. Then next time you open up that drawing and turn on the image, it will be as last left.

And bad thing to haul in a JPG type image. Is better to convert it over to something scaleable like a TIF or BMP. The JPG image will first try and fit or adjust to your screen area, and alter the X-Y ratio just so it looks good. That is the nature of it. Whereas a BMP or TIF will only get larger or smaller in an equal ratio. Thus it you try an attempt to trace over a JPG image, beware it may not be to an equal vertical as horizontal. A JPG image looks good on the internet, where it was designed to habitate.

You can go to Autodesk site and get a better explaination than I gave.

Then too, if you plan on running one of the Raster to Vector conversion programs, you first need to get out all the dirt and otherwise make a clean drawing. Or that junk will be converted right along with and cause a timely delay. Several of us have been using the freeloader WinTopo software. Back when you could get the B&W version for free or the color version for $100. That was yesterday too. But is fast, basic, and can be obtained via CNET or SoftSoft site. Again, the scaleable type drawings work better for accurate CAD conversion than a JPG.

Wm.