RCU Forums - View Single Post - CAD shoot out
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2006, 06:14 PM
dolanosa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CAD shoot out

I just think the main thing about CAD is just to get the ideas on paper, dimension it according to need an dthe available equipment and plot it out to start building. The things that differ between $$$ CAD and 0$ CAD are options. If someone is comfortable using a 0$ CAD app and they know how to draw, I would put them up against someone who has the latest version of ACAD, DCAD, TCAD, CATIA who doesn't know how to draw. Sure, the big $ CAD apps can make prettier pictures but I haven't seen a drawing take off and land.

IMHO, if people want to get into CAD, I strongly suggest investing in a drafting course. Then depending on what they want to do, only then decide on what options they need in a CAD application. Myself, I have used ACAD, CATIA, EZ-CAD/CAM, and Pro-E when I worked as an engineer for dfferent companies. Now, I'm just fine with a free version of ICAD (2000) because I don't need 3D rendering or solids or FEM. Other people might not be able to live without NURBS or 3D rendering but that's their business.

If we're going with ANY type of CAD app, I would have to go with Catia. If this is for prosumer, AutoCAD. If the shootout is for hobbyist, TurboCAD. Free CAD, IntelliCAD 2K. If I have the finances and I have CNC equipment, I'll probably end up getting something with better surfacing and curve abilities.

I just miss having access to 5-axis milling machines, CNC routers and laser cutters.

B