RCU Forums - View Single Post - Giant Delta! 86 inches!!
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2003, 10:34 PM
CrazyHerb-RCU-delete
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CG and Glide

The Center of Gravity is around 22 inches from the TRAILING edge (not rear of the elevons). It's a conservitive, slightly nose heavy CG but still working great. About 20% MAC.

The glide on this thing is INSANE....real floater. I had a dead-stick at about 500 ft and it took two minutes to glide back to my feet.

One thing to mention about Delta's. They are VERY efficent in straight and level flight. However, as soon as you bank or climb hard they loose it.

There is NO spar in the Giant Delta...but I did run a single 3 inch wide length of fiber strapping tape from tip to tip...where the sweep meets the tip. The wing is strong enough, but if I were to do it again...(and I will)..I'd run a 3/8 inch square hardwood spar just for added security.

I did try a flat spin with the HUGE rudder, but due to my nose heavy condition it will just do a big super-flat circle. That tip just WON'T stall! Also, need to increase my throw on the rudder a bit..I think it's only about 20 degrees...didn't want the plane to freak out on the first flight.

Let me know if anyone is going to build one...I'll try to answer any questions.

Good Luck!
CrazyHerb