RCU Forums - View Single Post - free CAD
Thread: free CAD
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2006, 09:04 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: free CAD

I get hit up for one or two free versions of some CAD software to try out each year. Last year there was an advocate of a cheap CAD around here. He provided links and other information regarding A-9 cad. The software does work, after what seemed to be a one month search for the missing DLLs that it requires before going further and properly loading.

The announcement proclaims to be 100% compatible with Autocad, however that is only to version 2002. None others. For it will not permit you to import/export any finished drawing except to another computer using that exact Autodesk software. You cannot do a simple SAVE-AS to revert to a different version, nor import more modern versions.

Biggest problem in the announcement, is that it may be compatible, it does not have several of the features so often used and readily available to Autocad users since the 1980's. Yes the buttons and commands are similar to the Autodesk product, but there are an equal number which were omitted. It may be 100% compatible but only had 60% of the standard functions. XREF, PaperSpace, (dream on for awhile) likewise the only import function is graphic based.

Best I can figure it that you are only expected to open up one drawing and then do EVERYTHING there. There is no system to take work done within one drawing and then transferr it to another. You are stuck. One project, one drawing.

I think at this time, if you want a more close to 100% compatible product, then look into the different versions of Intellicad. They offer free tryout versions, which have a period to run, but somehow there are numerous reports that the free period keeps getting extended and extended w/o pop-ups or reminders. Visit the Google Alt.cad groups and there are numerous discussion groups there, plus in margin links to free software. For finding such here or based upon a reccomendation here may not meet your needs. I also find that within these groups there are several ways to work around the short comings of certain named CAD software.

Wm.