RCU Forums - View Single Post - Gyrotor indoor/outdoor Heli
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2006, 08:27 PM
ChaChing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gyrotor indoor/outdoor Heli

To replace the GyRotor's bearing with the Micron M022 main shaft bearing (2x5x1.5mm). Well this is how I did it anyway.

1. Remove the bottom black restrainer from the main rotor-shaft assembly. Cut below the steel washer bearing using a junior hacksaw blade.

2. Remove the fuselage and lift out the rotor shaft with the white plastic gear wheel still attached to the shaft.

3. Remove the brass bearing at the bottom of the shaft housing - lever it off with a blade.

4. Remove the landing-gear, it just pulls-off, exposing the rotor housing proper. Cut-off about 1mm from the bottom of the plastic rotor housing. Make sure your cut was straight, if not, sand it until it's level.

5. Re-attach the landing-gear. It is keyed so it should go on straight.

Now the tricky bit, if any glue gets in to the ball race of the bearing it's bye-bye bearing.

6. Place the new ball bearing on a 2mm diameter rod, ensure it is a very firm fit. It is possible to use the removed rotor shaft for this, if the width isn't quite large enough add a little CA to the end of the shaft. Once the bearing issecure (NOT GLUED) apply CA on the outside edge of the bearing - maybe use a needle to apply it. Then insert the bearing in to the opening in the landing gear, forcing it up until it meets the, now shortened, shaft housing and hold in place until the glue has cured. The bearing should now be attached to the inside of the landing gear tube. Test that the bearing is secure and free moving by spinning it, if it is remove the rod you inserted the bearing with.

7. Sand the carbon rotor shaft below the white plastic gear wheel, removing about 0.1mm of carbon rod. It may be possible to trim a little of the rotor shaft, so insert through the housing and bearing and see if it is too long. This rotor-shaft sanding is a good mod by itself, boy does it reduce friction. Wipe the rotor shaft, removing any powdered carbon.

8. Place a small ammount of CA in the bore of the bearing and quickly insert the shaft into the housing, finally passing through the newly installed bearing. Let the shaft set in place inside the bore of the bearing.

If the bearing hasn't seized and the glue has held, just re-attach the fuselage and the job is done.

Below are some after pics for illustration, you might notice that I cut-off too much of the main rotor shaft housing, causing my bearing to be quite recessed, but I guess it is a little lighter now.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz76916.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	535439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91544.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	535440