RCU Forums - View Single Post - Any recommendations for materials to learn aerodynamics
Old 01-15-2003, 11:19 PM
mwtrull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any recommendations for materials to learn aerodynamics

I have thoroughly enjoyed the recent discussions of airfoils and aerodynamics. And while I can follow most of what has been discussed, I realize I need to study to acquire enough knowledge to do anything more than follow along. So could I get some recommendations for books to read?

I would expect a good start would be a fundamental primer on aerodynamics, at least as it applies to model sailplanes. And then a text that describes how to use the principles of aerodynamics to design model planes would also be wonderful.

I do not expect to be designing anything myself, but I would expect an understanding of how aerodynamics relate to design would be essential to understanding any plane I might fly.

And finally, a recommendation for a discussion of airfoil principles, particularly as it relates to airfoil selection would also be appreciated. Toward this end, I found these references and wondered if they are educational or merely provide reference data for designers:

Soartech #8 Airfoils at Low Speed, Selig, Donovan, Fraser

Summary of Low-Speed Airfoil Data, Vol.1, Selig

Summary Of Low-Speed Airfoil Data, Vol.2, Selig

Summary Of Low-Speed Airfoil Data, Vol.3, Selig

Thank you for your comments!

Sincerely,

Michael