RCU Forums - View Single Post - Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly
Old 10-10-2006, 08:08 AM
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

ORIGINAL: Bosshossv8

I was using the "Imac Standard" setup from Fromeco. 4800 plane / 2400 ignition .....9.9 ounce of battery. plus the weight of the heavy wire.

After flying the early part of the season...daily, I was using between 1200 and 1400mah on plane, and between 500 and 800 on ignition on a heavy day of flying.

I dropped down to 2400 li-ion plane / 1320 Li-po (2-cell) on ignition. Saving 5 ounces.

My batteries are forward behind the motor box , in a balsa foam padded box I made.

Now on all my DA-50 planes , at least ones that don;t need any extra ballast, get the 2400 /1320 treatment.

My batteries get unplugged at the end of the day, I use no switches betweeen my regs and battts. I use the Reg shutdown feature of the Fromeco regulators. It draws 2mah when shutdown, so you should unplug them when you re done. i have left them plugged accidentily on one plane I was not flying for 2 weeks with no problems , the batts were still flyable, but partially drained. There is a danger of ruining the batteries in a system like this, if they left them plugged in for a month, so many don;t use it, or even pooh-pooh it here on the forums.....

It works for me, peace of mind..no switches to crash my plane. only swtich on the plane s one failsafe pin switch on the Fromeco reg shutdown for the plane. The igniton cannot be turned on without power to the Optical Kill from Smartfly via the receiver.....no sw. on ign on the plane ....only radio.

I was doing this system on my first gasser, and low and behold, I buy a plane from a popular poster here, who later dissed me, and he had the same setup in his plane. Gee, I guess I am not the only one who doesn't like switches.

I have 7 planes with this setup...DA-50 , 100, BME 102's, even a converted Zenoah...(shhhhhhhh .....some people might pooh pooh me for having a Zenoah).

The whol 2400 / 1320 setup was just a natural adjustment when analyzing the usage of the batteries. The weight was the gravy.
Boss, Your the first guy I know that runs a li-poly on a gasser. I was told they don't like vibration and can self-distruct when exposed to such.

Good luck with that! I would not keep that plane in the garage after flying, unless it's the neighbors garage.

John