RCU Forums - View Single Post - Fliton Inspire 60 Acro
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2006, 05:10 PM
CafeenMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fliton Inspire 60 Acro

Mike - You've probably seen enough of my posts to see that I'm a diehard builder. This is only the second ARF I built for me. The first was built when I was stationed in Germany and didn't have a shop. I wanted something in the air quickly with a minimum of tools.

The reason I bought this one was because I saw the ad in the AMA magazine. The lines are beautiful. It's a gorgeous model. I knew nothing about Fliton at the time and frankly didn't really care. I just realized that I know nothing about 3D models and even though I mostly design my own I didn't see any point in reinventing the wheel by trying to design one and going through 15 iterations until it was right. Why not start with one that has already been developed by people who know what they're doing, right?

I also watched the video and I generally believe most manufacturers present honest videos of their models. I mean if the model were sapping over and they edited that part out they probably would fix the model instead of presenting a misleading and dishonest video.

So bottom line is that I believe the model should be good. I'm fairly confident that I can the problems worked out. Even though I'm doing it, it's not my intent to bash Fliton. I have a bad model. Some of it's probably my fault. But I don't think it's all my fault.

I think my best course of action at this point is to install the OS 60 FX I have. I didn't want to do that because it's not the right engine for the model but it will allow me to balance the model. It's a brand new engine and if the model flies well with it and that resolves CG issues then I'll buy the right engine, but then I'll have a new OS 60 that was previously unrun that I'll have to start watching for rust and pulling out occassionally to oil which I don't have to do now because it's never had fuel in it.

Anyway, this project has moved to about the bottom of my priority list so it may be 3 years before I pull it out again. But as I've posted several times already I do plan to make a bonafide effort to fix the model. If the fixes work (or don't) I'll revisit this thread and post what I did and what happened.

I'm glad others aren't having these problems. The model looks like a winner which is why I bought it but at this point I'd have rather saved the money I put into it (a few very expensive servos, an expensive spinner I'll probably never use on anything else, plus the cost of the model) and put that toward something else.

Obviously I'm very outnumbered here by people who love the model and they probably know more about this type of model than I do so they're the ones to listen to.

- Paul