RCU Forums - View Single Post - HobbyZone Super Cub - Tell me About It
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2006, 01:48 AM
FlyVegas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HobbyZone Super Cub - Tell me About It

Well, I can only give the opinion of a rank beginner. I have flown quite a bit on MS Flight Sim and a little on ClearView. A couple of weeks ago, I got a little 2-channel plane (11" wing) and flew it around the park a little bit. Then I got the Super Cub and took it out in the desert today. I was pretty nervous... not shaking... but I didn't want to crash my new plane and I knew it was inevitable!

I had no problem taking off from the ground. I had a couple of crashes and a couple of successful 5 minute flights. I had the ACT unit on at first but I felt that it was hindering rather than helping. This may have been because I was flying over a dry lake bed... the manual warns that light colored ground may confuse the unit. I seemed to fly much better with ACT off.

The end result was a wing that was nearly torn off near the fuse but it was easily repaired with CA, a broken prop (thank goodness I had a spare that came in the package), a cracked cowl and a slightly bent landing gear. I'm licking my wounds to my ego but it still feels good to have that experience under my belt. I know that I can do much better next time. I had fun and I realize that crashing is part of the game for a new pilot.

My pre-purchase research lead me to the Super Cub and I still think it was a good choice for me... but what the heck do I know?

I am using ClearView with an Esky controller and this combo is reasonably priced for a beginner's simulator. I got some extra planes from "Kens RC Simulator Page". http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/commun...pid=291233&ck=

The E-starter seems to be the closest thing to the Super Cub, though it is not a tail dragger... flight characteristics seem close. However, this plane locks up my computer. I have not had that problem with the FKstick (Ken's). I would recommend the E-starter if it will work on your machine.

Does anyone know of a ClearView compatible plane that would be more similar to the Super Cub than the E-starter?