RCU Forums - View Single Post - TF P-40 Build Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2006, 10:45 PM
Juice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: TF P-40 Build Thread

Peter... Safety comes first. It may have been annoying to the neighbors, but I made sure it was safe for all. That bench is very securly tied down with nylon rope to the post just behind it. The rope loops the two leg and the top of the horse 4 times each. It may be hard to see in the video, but it there. Trust me, I gave it a lot of good hard yanks before I fired up the engine.

Progress pictures:

1) I preshaped the wheel well liners and fitted them in the wing before sheeing. I also laid down the servo extensions and the retracts tubes.

Also, notice that I cut off the servo rails between W1 and W2. These were supposed to hold the original center aileron servo and bomb drop servo. Since I'm not using either, I cut off the rails to save weight. I also cut off the Forward Center Braces between the spar and LE. These held the dihedral on W1 before the wing was joined, but after the dihedral braces were epoxed in when I joined the wing, I can't see them adding any structural strength or support, so I cut them out (also to save weight).

2) This shows how I strengthed W8 near the trailing edge. This is where the TE breaks because of the different angles of the flap LE and the aileron LE. This is a weak spot in the design.

3) Bottom sheeing finished. I cut out the wheel wells now so that I can permanently glue the wheel well liners from the inside before I do the top sheeting.

Josh
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72325.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	558023   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92562.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	558024   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12549.jpg
Views:	94