RCU Forums - View Single Post - Show us your scratch built foamys
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2006, 06:18 PM
critterhunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Show us your scratch built foamys

Figured I'd post another couple of photos of my aerial platform I'm building. Running BP21 motor, a 7x4 or 8x4 APC prop, 2000ma 3 cell lipo, 25 amp speed control, two HS55 servos for an elevator/rudder setup. 36" wingspan, 4" thick fuse by 5 and 1/2" inches tall (Yep, wanted it thick to protect the pocket camcorder that is going up inside the fuse right at the COG spot). 3V voltage regulator to ditch the two AAs in the camera and run it right off the plane battery, complete with a protection circuit. Rudder/elevator should give the plane more doscile traits for stabile video. Didn't want a rocket or a real agile platform. Having never flown a rudder/elevator setup (no ailerons) I decided to put some deheidral in the wing. Even though I've flown this type of clark-y wing on other builds that was only with aileron/elevator so this was new to me, as you can tell since I probaby spelled it wrong. A few people warned me that rudder might present more of a problem to correct wing tipping. I figured the massive fuse under the top mounted wing would help prevent any problem but figured I better curve it just the same to be safe. I just weight it down and propped it up to the proper curve and then heated the foam with a hair dryer to temper it, then used some spray glue and Extreme strapping tape to give the curve more strength. Despite the rather thick carbon tube I put in the bottom of the wing I was able to tempter it pretty easily. Was also surprised just how strong the temper is. Won't budge unless you really tork on it. This hot wire cutting has taught me more about planes than anything else. Haven't decided where the motor as a pusher is going yet. I was planning on the very end of the fuse but may mount it on top of the fuse just behind the wing. Always wanted to try that sort of setup. I was tempted to throw HS81s in it but I'm trying to keep the weight down. Man, those HS55s are tiny compared to them. Hope they hold...

She's still a bit rough around the edges yet but that's 'cuz it's still under construction. Wasn't planning on trying to make it look good but all things considered for a free hand two minute design she's turning out better looking than I thought. Sort'a like a water tanker or military cargo plane.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37267.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	563275   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx73802.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	563276