RCU Forums - View Single Post - Raptor questions
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2002, 06:16 PM
Scotty740

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor questions

I'll address those issues with my experiences with 2 Raptors That I have been flying for the last 2 years now. Each has probably over a hundred flights on it.

1. woof and poof

I had it occur with one machine using glass blades. I never had a boom strike because of it and don't know that it could cause one. The blades go out of track and make a lot of noise but have never had any damage that I've known from it. I cured it by doing a simple blade flip. I flew the machine for a long time without it happening and don't know why it started other than from wear and looseness. My other machine has the Quick UK swash plate and metal washout base and has never had that problem.

2. Clutch

Both machines have original clutches and liners in them. I did replace one liner and clutch shortly after the machine was built due to a crash and wide-open throttle at that time. Since then I have had no clutch failures at all.

3. Tail

Using the stock setup on both machines with no problems. I do check the nuts that hold the tail blade holders on and did find them loose a couple times. I check them and keep them tight and haven't had any problems at all. I did see a buddy of mine set his down too hard and drop the tail into the dirt and it broke off the screw and he lost a tail blade.

I'm not writing this as an absolute endorsement of the Raptor as I know there are other better machines out there. It's cheap, durable and easy to repair. I got one to try and since I know what their weaknesses and strengths are I've stuck with them as my throw around machine. With attention and care in assembly and good maintenance they do the job and work for me.