RCU Forums - View Single Post - do arfs belong in scale forum?
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2006, 11:54 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: do arfs belong in scale forum?

Maybe we should just have everyone prove that they can build (by doing so) before they are allowed to buy an ARF. [:-]

Seriously, I am a scale builder, and I think that the ARF movement is probably the best thing that has happened to our hobby. At the same time it is the worst thing that has happened to our hobby. First, the ARF has gotten more people involved in this hobby, since they do not have to learn to build, and practice the other disciplines that we had to learn in order to be able to fly. But, it has attracted those with the, "Skateboarder" mentality. These are the here today gone tomorrow types who are only into instant gratification and what's next?

Should the ARFer's be allowed to compete in the scale arena with stick-built models? Absolutely not. Should there be an event for them? That should be up to them. Would I attend? Not likely, since my interests lie in other directions. Should we ban them from the scale forum? How else will they be introduced to the time honored traditions of this hobby? Let's let them come to the forum, they just might catch the bug, and be the next generation of scale builders. Hell, we just might get biten by their bug, and buy an ARF or 3.

Have I gotten religion? Not their brand of it, but I watched some younger guys flying their ARF's over the last few weeks, and These guys are really good pilots. True they only have some cash invested in their models, rather than hundreds of hours, so they probably let it hand out more than you or I would. Cut them some slack, and let them learn to love the hobby, then we spring the trap on them after it's too late[8D]

Bill, AMa 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1