RCU Forums - View Single Post - Your thoughts on scale kits
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2006, 10:18 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Your thoughts on scale kits

Well, my bug-a-boo is always the blatant label that mentions "High Quality" "(exact) Scale" when we know that the contents of the box will be obsolete in one or two years.

High Quality seems to be a standard word every manufacturer has used since die-cutting of parts began more than 50 years ago. What is Quality today, may be average tomorrow, or already. In many respects, I read of new innovations being done to contents within that box by a manufacturer. One thing omitted, is that it may very well be new to them, but it also may have been used by another firm a few years prior.

An Exact Scale model is often infeasible also. The control surfaces for full size and model vary by needs in area. Moreover, it would be helpfull for the manufacturer would let us know what is considered original size and what is model sized. Outlines to more scale appearances were often shown on plans years ago. Not anymore.

In an advertisement last month I read about some new model by a manufacturer that now had CAD drawings included. "Well, welcome to the 20th Century! Unfortunatly this has been around for more than ten years now. So, when we going to see some of your work from the 21st century as it is now?" The problem as we all knoiw here is that CAD is slow and tedious, and sometimes the result is that the creation is not possible to build.

Tell them Don't Lie to Us.

Wm.