RCU Forums - View Single Post - CX2 Lipo question?
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2006, 01:32 PM
DaveG55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CX2 Lipo question?

ORIGINAL: bzyguy01

I'm not sure as to what rate the stock supplied charger is charging at but it takes roughly 20-30 minutes at .8 charge on my Astro lithium charger or my Great Planes Electrifly 4 charger.
I don't agree to the standard chargers only charging 85% of the lipo's capacity as I have tested the batteries mah after a full charge on one before and it did hold the stated mah rating. The stock charger most likely is only charging at a lower rate like possibly .4 or.5 rate? Never tested the chargers output tho.. Just my assumption. It's ok to charge a lipo at a lower rate than 1A per 1000mah but not to charge over that. I know I've seen people challenge this and say they charge over the suggested rate but we'll see his/her home burnt to the ground some day I bet. Charging over the suggested rate on a nicad or nimh (Fast Charging) is probabbly done on a daily basis but it does eventually take life out of that battery. But those batteries are not nearly as dangerous.

So Harvick, Its probabbly just charging at a lower rate thus taking longer to peak out at max voltage. But thats safer than over charging a battery's suggested rate. If you do upgrade to a nice charger someday as you expand into more models that use lipo's it will be reccomended to get a good charger like the astro or etc.... this way you can charge a battery at the correct rate that you can dial in.

I don't understand, I thought that if you charge an 800 mah battery at .8A (800ma) that it should take roughly 1 hour to acheave a full charge. Two hours at .4A, etc. How are you getting a full charge in 30 minutes or less?