RCU Forums - View Single Post - Best Prop. Wood? Why?
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2006, 09:10 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Best Prop. Wood? Why?

BTW, as long as the primary discussion topic of this thread is the differences between wood and others..............

I've found it to suit me better to deal with wood because I do mess around with my props to match them better to the individual aircraft, and wood does that for me better. Wood's airfoils are usually thicker. It's not possible to deal with some props that're so very thin there's nothing to work with. It's use it or not with them. With wood, I can almost always work out a usable "new" prop.

I've also found that some plastics seem to have "cosmetic" tips. They're either so thin an airfoil or have so flat a working AOA that cutting their diameter does almost nothing to their effective diameter. Cutting the diameter a half inch often does nothing to the way they perform. Cut another quarter of an inch and they go sour. Trim yet another quarter and they're lots worse. I've had the impression that they need some non-working tip shape or somesuch. What it is exactly I got no clue. But I don't bother nowadays because I don't know a predictable technique.