RCU Forums - View Single Post - PAU/BME 87" Extra 330L - Build and Fly
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2006, 06:27 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: PAU/BME 87" Extra 330L - Build and Fly

I almost forgot to mention... looks like I'll be getting a 25mm drop header and MTW canister for install in another project (don't ask, won't tell) so I intend on sharing installation of this exhaust setup in this plane as well so people who are wondering will have some idea of how it can be done. THough I'll stick to a stock muffler for my own flying.

I also did a quick check and even with the rudder hinge wire left out in the bevel, it's pretty difficult to remove because of the tailwheel bracket...

The reason is that the top and bottom hinges rightfully are located close to the top/bottom of the fin for best strength... and if you use a wire that's nice and snug in the hinges, it doesn't have enough room to bend and ease out of the hinges.

A person COULD use two wires one aiming up the top two hinges and another aiming down the bottom two... but since removable rudders are enoiugh pain as it is, an extra screw to loosen isn't a hassle.

And if that's the case... I see no reason to even notch the plate... the hinge wire cannot go anywhere as long as when the wire "handle" rests on the tailwheel bracket and that the wire extends up though the top hinge (which a wire cut at 11 7/8" with maybe a 1/4" bend "handle" is great).

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40292.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	582502