RCU Forums - View Single Post - *** CLUB SUPER TIGRE ***
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2006, 02:26 PM
XJet
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: *** CLUB SUPER TIGRE ***

ORIGINAL: speedster 1919

XJET your in the wrong forum . You should be in club Thunder Tiger or club Magnum...........I say the carbs are a proven design and too many people get along with them just fine. ST use to be one of the more expensive and now the less expensive. Thanks to TOWER or Great Planes.
Hey, I've got several ST engines and I love the fact that I get so much engine for such little dollar -- but it frustrates the hell out of me that they could be a *fantastic* engine if only the carbs were updated!

Every time I slam the throttle open on a "stock-standard" ST90, they cough, burble and finally burst into full song and I'm reminded that all my other engines just spool right up without any hesitation.

Hell, even the air-bleed carbys on my TT61GP and TT42GP provide snappier response and better mid-range fuel-metering than my G90s when running with the standard carb.

But I can't use a stock ST90 for 3D, or any other kind of flying that demands rapid throttle response throughout the mid-range, or any kind of plane that needs to be run at 1/3-2/3 throttle for extended periods of time -- they just load up and run way-rough in this part of the throttle curve. That is of course, unless I fit another carby ($$ or hours in the workshop turning and milling), in which case they become real jewels worth far more than the street-price that's usually charged for them.

Maybe ST are missing an opportunity here. I (and I bet a bunch of other folks) would gladly pay an extra $30 if my ST engines came with a better carb. It would save me the hassle of making the change myself.

The only reason I can think why some folks are happy with their ST throttle performance is that they simply don't need or appreciate the importance of a clean mid-range to some kinds of flying and therefore find the ST's burbly mid-range acceptable.