RCU Forums - View Single Post - F-4C Phantom - Pavel Bosak
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2007, 06:29 PM
Mustang Fever
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default F-4C Phantom - Pavel Bosak

I just can't walk by an empty building board. I tried, really I did. While I've been waiting for my TopFlite 1/7 Mustang to arrive, I spent 4 or 5 days cleaning and organizing the airplane factory. Today I couldn't take it anymore, and started building this set of plans that appeared in Radio Control Model World, April 1990. (I ordered the plans and was able to obtain a canopy through Traplet Publications.) You can find them at: traplethouse.com They have an extensive collection of plans, with many WWI, WWII and modern warbirds.

Anyway, a few years ago I scaled down that ducted fan F-4 design that Pavel sold to RCM Magazine. Put a geared Cobalt 600 on it, and it actually flew. Not very well. It was so draggy that only the big geared motor could haul it fast enough to fly, and there was so much prop torque I couldn't make it turn right. It only went around counterclockwise. Had to be launched off a plywood pedal launcher that I built for it. (I still have it, if anyone's interested. The launcher, that is. The airplane is hanging up in my nephew's bedroom in Loveland, CO)

Anyway, here's some pix of Pavel's prototype, and where I am so far with the build. Notice that I am starting with the wrong end first. Typical bassackwards approach. It won't get finished til long after the Mustang is done, but when it is, it will be powered by a piped OS 61 FX with a Cline fuel system, and will have Robart spring down retracts. (502s with struts)

I'm going to model it after one of the most beautiful F4s ever flown, those that were found at Selfridge Air National Guard Base between 1978 and 1990. They belonged to the 191st Fighter Interceptor Group, the famed "Michigan Six Pack", which was part of the active air defense network during the cold war. This particular one is AF 63-529, the first F-4C that I worked on after joining the unit in 1978. It was the first one we got back from St. Louis overhaul that was painted up in our colors, and is the subject of a Monogram 1/72nd kit. You can't see it in this shot, but the rudder has the same checkerboard on it that you can see on the variramps.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96654.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	588531   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72023.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	588532   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64130.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	128.9 KB