RCU Forums - View Single Post - Dragon Fly Vs. Pin Hold Spy Cam
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2003, 11:33 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dragon Fly Vs. Pin Hold Spy Cam

I used one of the cheapo camera systems I got from Ebay. There is a windows media clip here:

Slope soaring wireless camera

This was my first attempt at wireless video. I have since purchased a better system (for less!) but have not had a chance to test it in the air. The system used for the video is one of those self contained pinhole cameras that runs off 9 volts. I pretty much just velcroed it down to a balsa plank that I taped to fuse of my Super Scooter slope plane. 1000' range might be possible with a GOOD quality battery fully charged and if the rx was mounted on a pole or something to get more altitude. I had the rx sitting on my flight box during this flight and there were people sitting and standing between the plane and the rx most of the time. I think the pic would have been a lot better with the rx mounted above head height.
The new system I have for slope flying is 800mw with a separate tx, a pinhole camera and runs off 9volts.
I have a much better $350 system but its too heavy (10cell nicad pack) for a slope glider. It will be mounted in a Sig Kadet Senior ARF I just purchased and will utilize a tilt and pan for the camera. This video system is supposed to have a 2 mile range. The camera has an excellent picture compared to the cmos pinhole cameras.