RCU Forums - View Single Post - Newbie armed with SM FA-18 Hornet?
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2007, 04:39 PM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Newbie armed with SM FA-18 Hornet?

I will second Ian's comment. Flying the jet is not that difficult. I have been flying them for three years, and flying R/C for over 20 years. They are challenging and require more attention than the standard prop plane or heli. Like said previously, throttle management is the real trick, and some of these heavier birds do not like to slow down. If it were me, and I know we are all different with different abilites, I would start out with something a little more forgiving before sinking my teeth into a $10K F-18. Buy something more forgiving and get used to the turbine before you upgrade to the F-18. In the long run I think you would be happier and it will probably be cheaper as well.
I have found that the simulator (G3 or FSOne) do not really give you the true feel for the turbine airplane. They help you realize the speed issue, but trying to slow down a 25 pound bird and wrestle it into the runway, I assure you, will cause the beads of sweat to run down your backside and you won't get that sitting at the computer. Turbine flight is awesome and must be experienced. I think you should try it.
Tommy