RCU Forums - View Single Post - Newbie armed with SM FA-18 Hornet?
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2007, 12:57 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Newbie armed with SM FA-18 Hornet?

Dave,

I bought my first jet almost a year ago now. It was an SM f-18C in a blue angels color scheme. I loved that thing. I loved it so much I had to sell it.

Remember what people are saying here. There is a huuuugggeee psych component to flying these things. You will be nervous your first few times. Learning about sink rates AND turbine lag are difficult.

Darcy (mu2driver) is a GREAT flyer and flew the living crap out of his 18. Really a site to be seen, but ask him if he respects turbine lag.

18's are great with a very predictable sink rate. But they have a very real sink rate. Prop planes don't really have this phenomenon.

I'd suggest to learn about turbine lag first THEN about sink rates. This makes a minimum of two airplanes. Buy some sport "junk-a-lunka" to learn turbine lag on, (Rookie, A-10x, boomerang). Put fifty flights on it. You will get behind the turbine a few times and rip the gear out or hurt the fuse/wing. You will learn it on an airplane that is cheap and you won't care so much about. Think of it as an investment in yourself. Buy a P-120 and put it in the big boomer and use the engine in your f-18. Try not to care too much about the looks of the boomer (yeah its ugly, but so are most sport planes) you are going to get rid of it anyways.

You will use this skill to help you keep your next scale bird, that beautiful f-18 (believe me I love that airplane, I own 2), from falling out of the sky on approach. It will not let you get away with getting behind the turbine as much as the sport junk-a-lunka.

What ever you do, don't do it alone! You'll love it though!!!!

Raf