View Single Post
Old 01-06-2007, 05:06 AM
AERORICH73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: hinge slot cutter

I have found the hinge slotting tool also to be one of the greatest inventions. The knife method was really scarey when thinking about how bad a cut the body would get if there was a slip. Read somewhere that cutting the slots before covering was a good way to trial fit every thing together without glue before covering. My method is to trial fit the hinges into both parts to make sure the assembly is free moving in both directions, and the hinge gap is very small. Then disassemble the aileron for an example, leaving the hinges in the aileron unglued. Now I cover the wing, and when it is done, align the uncovered aileron back next to the wing to locate the slots. Usually, when ironing the covering in the wing aileron hinge area, the slot position is seen,but to be sure I still mark each hinge slot in the wing area before setting the aileron aside. The Harold Higgley books suggested doing wrap-arounds of covering on a model before covering the whole part to make a better bond between the structure and final covering. I am not sure if this something everyone does or not. It has worked well on my models. After the wing has been covered, then the hinges in the uncovered aileron can be removed, and installed dry into the wing slots to be used to locate the slots in the aileron after it is covered. By the way I read somewhere that if you mark the center of each CA hinge at the pivot area with a crayon on both sides, the pivot area will not get stiff from CA penetration. Also, keep in mind that it does not hurt to pin each hinge with a round toothpick to make sure the hinge cannot come out in flight. Yes, this idea is over kill. Now think about flying your ARF without the hinges being pinned. An ARF trainer given to me after a crash, had the elevator hinges back out on me during a flight after the fuse was repaired. I was lucky only the wing came off during the somewhat safe landing.

Rich S.