RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sig LT40 Electric
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2007, 08:50 PM
Black Arrow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig LT40 Electric

I fly mostly electric planes and would still classify myself as a beginner (meaning I still crash more often than I should) so you can take this with a grain of salt. I do have an LT 40 but it's the glow powered version. I think just about everybody will tell you that it is a great trainer. It's plenty big enough to be easily seen and will handle some wind. It will do some basic aerobatics. A geat flying plane. 9 minutes is plenty of time in the beginning. As a beginner your stress load is so high that you will feel like it was one very, very long 9 minutes. Later on you will probably want more duration and in respect to that I say the following: The electrics are really nice for of all the oft repeated reasons: intstant start, no grime, quiet, low vibration, etc. However, as you get into larger aircraft there is one disadvantage to electric and that is they become a good bit more expensive. The larger motors and batteries are sharply more expensive than the small to medium sized electric stuff. Especially if you want Lipo/outrunner set ups. As for myself, right now I see myself spending the extra $ and staying with electric for my larger planes. Batteries and motors will probably continue to evolve and prices vs. performance should continue to improve. Check out this thread: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5198156/tm.htm

One last thing. You didn't mention whether you will be learning with the help of an instructor or winging it on your own. If you are going to have a for real instructor ( heartily recommended) the LT 40 is a great way to go but if you're going to try and do it the hard way a foamie is IMHO the ONLY way to go. The Multiplex Easy Star is THE BEST electric trainer out there for a guy who is going to try and do it the hard way. Ask me how I know! PM me if you want more personal tales of the agonies of defeat and glories of victory. LOL!