RCU Forums - View Single Post - New To RC boating
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2007, 11:02 PM
p113

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New To RC boating

Im new to RC boating, however I’m experienced in full scale boating, so I’m not totally useless

We have a RIB (ridged inflatable boat), google it if you don’t know what it is.

This is what i would like to build, they are fast, and good in rough seas, id like to do some wave jumping if possible, just like we do in the real thing

I'm totally open to length, I would have thought that 3-4 feet would be good. Too big? Too small?

I was hoping to run twin nitro’s with 2 jet drives which i have found [link=http://www.prestwich.ndirect.co.uk/]here[/link] for the coolness of 2 engines and for power/pickup.

Is two 15cc or 10cc engines enough, would i be better going for 2 props instead?

Now onto the next set of questions

I will have to make this boat myself. From what i can see fiber glass is going to be the best option. Can I simply make a male mould of the hull then lay fiber glass and gel coat over that. I propose to make the mold from polystyrene like substance, its finer and normally green. It’s sometime used with fake flowers. Sorry I have completely forgotten the name [] And then cover that with tin foil or cling film and lay the fiber glass on that.

For the engines, do i need a silencer or can u run a manifold through the hull straight into the water like the real thing?

How does the water cooling work? do you have to be moving for water to cool the engine or is there some sort of pump?

Finally, fuel, does the tank need to be pressurized with the exhaust like the nitro cars?

Thanks very much for any help, sorry for some many questions.

P113