RCU Forums - View Single Post - Why is it so hard to make servo extensions?
Old 01-11-2007, 04:38 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Why is it so hard to make servo extensions?

I just don't like soldeirng the wires together for asthetic reasons. My way ends up a little thinner when your all done. So, I didn't mean to imply that the first method with the red cross is WRONG. I do it my way because it looks a little thinner when your done. Not to say that the other method doesn't work. Works fine. Just a little bit bigger joint when your done.

I know you should always have a mechanical joint when soldering. Kmot makes the U shape and laces them over each other. It works. It's a mechanical joint and would prevent the splice from coming loose in the event the extension was pulled on. I don't worry too much about it. Twisting the wires together does make a little bit of a mechanical joint, although not as strong as Kmots. I have also staggered my joints to keep the extension a bit thinner. It makes them easier to pull through a guide tube back into the tail. If you do them all together and end up with the "fat-n happy-boa" method--the extensions get too fat to pull them all through a rocket tube.

I figure, if that servo extension gets jerked hard enough to pull the wires loose--I got bigger problems than just one servo not working. [X(] HEADS UP IN THE PITS!!! By the time I figure out the servo extension got ripped out--the plane has already been bagged and buried. [sm=red_smile.gif] Dumb Thumbs Disease sucks.