RCU Forums - View Single Post - Funtana 90 CG
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2007, 11:27 PM
Rod Bender

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Funtana 90 CG

Hey Guys,

I maidened a few weeks back, thought I was very close, but while at the field, I let a couple aerobatic pilots test flight the plane. They all said it was nose heavy. I brought the plane home and moved the fuel tank from directly behind the firewall to just in front of the wing tube, its as close to the suggested CG as possible. I also added my 2nd battery pack in the aft cabin space where the 1st one is located.

I took the plane out a few days ago, and oh boy was it tail heavy, or it flew that way. I only did 1 flight like this as it was very dangerous. I brought the plane home, and built a CG stand to use on this, and any future models. The suggested CG on a Funtana 90 is 7 1\8" behind the leading edge. When I checked the CG today with this new CG stand, it balanced at 6 3\4", suggesting that I was still nose heavy. There is NO way I'm going to move or add more weight aft to aquire this suggested CG.

I talked with 1 person from the club that has the same model, and he claimed he had major CG problems with his setup also.

I wanted some input from other Funtana owners on their setup, and if they use the suggested CG, or if they've come up with their own?
At this point, I am opting to just move my internal electronics to aquire the best flight characterisics, with no regard to the suggested CG.

Any and all input greatly appeciated... Thanks, Greg