RCU Forums - View Single Post - For the Love of Deltas
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2007, 08:37 AM
I-Love-Jets

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: For the Love of Deltas

ORIGINAL: evan-RCU

200mph.

Twin modified .40 MVVS pylon motors..... You can see the rest.
I am sorry to intervene again, but this Outlaw twin delta will never fly 200 mph. I have seen your video. Although these modified MVVS FIRE engines (obviously Q500 timed to still accept these large props) seem to run a bit on the rich side your fastest runs were about 150 mph maximum.

Generally it is very unlikely that a twin powered delta is really fast. The reason is simple: The additional drag involved by the second engine devours the extra power. To compensate for the drag factor we only can respond with much more power. However even a twin powered MB 40 delta would hardly see 200 mph.

Some time ago there was a good example of a twin JETT 50 LX powered DD here in this forum named “Chill Factor”, a nice instance of veryfied 150 mph (see pic below). Remember your FIRE MVVS engines make less power than the those JETTs.

So the more streamlined an airframe the better and the more efficient the available power can be transferred to speed (e.g. using effectively oversquared prop sizes which is critical for deltas in general).

But a twin powered motor sound still in fact sounds like 250 ++ mph subjectively!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86192.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	612668