RCU Forums - View Single Post - Welcome Sal!
Thread: Welcome Sal!
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2007, 07:23 PM
salnsp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome Sal!

No batteries absolutely required a balance charge. You can simply slow charge (1/10 C) and this will bring the cells into balance. Balancing, while basically a good thing, is not necessary every time you charge. Unfortunately, every cell manufacturer seems to use different balance connecters. I agree, there should be a standard. I am sure, you should be able to get an adapter for the TP battery. Still, you can charge the battery for the Brio with the Triton charger without balancing.

BTW...Astroflight makes a great inexpensive balancer called the Blinky. It will balance up to 6 cells. It can be used on all the major batteries as it has a universal connecters (more or less),. Astroflight also carries several adapters for the Blinky for batteries that will not fit the universal plug on the Blinky. The blinky sells for $25.00

ORIGINAL: RoyR

I am a long time RCr, but have just begun my hand at electric.
I got a GP foamy for Christmas and just bought a Brio 10. Preparing, I bought a Triton charger and battery for the foamy. The foamy battery did not require a balance charge. I followed the recomendations for the Brio 10 and ordered everything I thought I would need. It turns out the battery I bought requires balance charging. SO, I ordered the Electrifly equinox cell balancer to go with my Triton charger. Upon receiving it, I noticed the balance plug on theThunderpower Lipo I bought for the Brio, is not the same as the balance plugs that came with the balancer. So finally here is my question. Is this hobby so specialized I need to get a Thunderpower charger for Thunderpower batteries and can only charge Electrifly lipos with the balancer I have? Can I get an adaptor to use the Trtion charger and balancer to charge the TP lipos? Or will the balancer only work with Electrifly lipos?
I have a lot to learn, but I'm trying.

Thank you.