RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ziroli P-38-- SUCCESSFUL Maiden!!-CG Question
Old 02-08-2007, 12:46 AM
kram
My Feedback: (7)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Ziroli P-38 Ready for Maiden-CG Question

IFLYBVM2:

First of all, Best of Luck on the maiden! We all know how much sweat and blood you have invested, but No Hangar Queens!, right?

Best advice I ever got on a P-38 maiden is Remember to Breathe sometime in the first 20 seconds after takeoff. Hypoxia can wreck your reflexes!

I have owned and flown three big 38's and two P-61's (different animal). I balance them with a 3-scale technique, which is extremely accurate. I have noted that the CG moves back about 1/4" when Robart wheels are retracted. Glennis wheels (13 oz each on my Z-61) change CG about 1/2" on my Z-61. Sorry to say that and the extra air it takes to cycle them influenced me to fly with Robart wheels, display with the Glennis.

Bottom Line: If Ziroli says CG is "here" with gear down, then fly it that way for maiden, don't cycle the gear, get a feel for it.

I have found all P-38's to be very stable flyers as long as both engines are running and you keep your airspeed up. They actually tolerate "pylon turns" and gear retraction (CG back) pretty darn well. Engine-out? Well, I don't wanna talk about that!

Good Luck! Post pics!

mt