RCU Forums - View Single Post - SIG Kommander
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2007, 04:28 PM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SIG Kommander

I have a Kommander story that may give you gents a chuckle. Back in 1975 Bud's Hobbies (Council Bluffs, IA. ) & SIG Mfg. put on a all Kommander contest . It ran for two days with all kinds of different fun events . One was a beauty event .
I made my Kommander to look like a German WWII aircraft with all the crosses & camouflage paint job. It was powered by a Merco .49 with a dummy radial engine made from Williams Bros . cylinders & had Robart dummy strut covers on the landing gear.
All the planes were lined up along the flight line for the beauty event & the judging if I remember right was done by the contestants. Most of of us were in lawn chairs behind the planes along with Glen & Hazel Sigafoose with Claude Mc Cullough the designer . Hazel turned to me & asked me why I made my plane to look like it did ( only one with a strange paint job & dummy engine ). My quickest answer that I could think of was that if the Germans would have had a suicide plane in WWII it would have looked like a Kommander . Must have struck Glen funny as he about fell out of his chair laughing . I don't think Claude cracked a smile. I didn't win the beauty event . Max Hansen