RCU Forums - View Single Post - Carburator Ice
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2007, 11:01 PM
erogers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carburator Ice

Anybody ever have a carburator ice up on them?

First time we have had weather decent enough to fly in about a month. 40 degrees and no wind. So I decided to take advantage of the good weather and get some of the rust off. I flew my Katana Profile 46 with a Supertigre 45 on it and after I took off and was in the air for about 2 or 3 minutes I throttled back and discovered that I had no throttle control. at first I though maybe my throttle servo had failed, or the linkage had broke. After flying around till I ran out of fuel and landed I checked over everything and the throttle servo moved, but only a little, I couldn't see where anything else was binding. I was flying in my backyard, so I picked up all my stuff and headed for the house, after I took the plane downstairs in the basement I started to check things over a little closer and discover that the barrel of the carb would not move very much. In the process of trying to figure out why, it started to move more freely, until it finally moved freely the full length of travel just as it had prior to me taking off. After further inspection, I could not find anything that would have caused this. The only thing I can think of would be that because of the temperature, (a few degrees above freezing) and the humidity level in the air this combination with the air flowing into the carburator caused the carburator to ice up.

Thoughts anyone?

Eric