RCU Forums - View Single Post - Really want to go fast??
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2007, 01:15 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Really want to go fast??

Our field is kept cut nice and short...(thanks flyinbr ) but it's a bit bumpy and has whoop-de-doo(s) in it...

Instead of a Zoomer, now you guys got me thinking about building a Napier or maybe the AJ-2? (I mean, ya might as well go for it, aye!?)

Bob...when you mentioned J curve, my mind flashed on "lift to drag ratio" and I guess I was right, but I haven't cracked a book on that stuff since the early 80's...(good grief, that was 25 freekin' years ago already![X(] )
Thanks again![8D]

When you mentioned using down elevator to scrub off speed, first thing I thought was when the muffler starts digging in, that sure will slow things down!

We flew off Griffiss AirForce Bases 10,000 X 200' concrete for 30 years, and I wouldn't think twice about using a straight venturi over there, but we got booted off Griffiss in '05 due to big business moving in (the base closed in '95-'96 and now "Empire Aero Center" is overhauling 737's, 747's, DC-10's, etc. etc. over there...they just got a contract for Virgin America, and Jet Blue (hope that one lasts???)
It took a little getting used to flying off grass again, and I guess 800' just seemed short when I remember the concrete?