RCU Forums - View Single Post - Can you suggest a starting prop
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2007, 05:26 PM
ntsmith

Location: Bishop\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'s Stortford,
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Can you suggest a starting prop

I find that answer interesting. Since most pattern flyers fly in areas that are more away from any houses than the standard club flyer and this because the models tend to eat up vast expases of sky, I would have thought that was the least consideration. The higher pitch causes the planes to fly faster but also lack the better vertical climb rates of lower pitches, and perhaps this accounts to a certain extent in the apparent smoothnes of the flight. I have heard comments that the quieter models are perceived to be smoother, but I do not hold with that view.
My plane the SC91 is going in is the Minicraft Javelin 90.
I am currently showing how its progressing on the web at http://fp.ntsmith.plus.com/this_is_t..._of_events.htm
the 14 X 6 was seen to be used in a write up on the very similar ASP91 so thats how I come to choose that for a starter.
The question is then. Would a 13 X 7 or 8 be better. Certainly with my Venus 40 a 6" pitch was jsut right and more pitch meant it flew faster but lacked the power in the up lines. I guess the same is going to apply here.
I will try the prop I have and see how it goes. Just get used to the plane at first for a good few flights any way.
Couple of weeks away I guess with the speed of my building (assembling!)