RCU Forums - View Single Post - Help With Wing Bolts
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2007, 10:58 AM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help With Wing Bolts

Couple of things to think about before installing STUDS in the root of a wing.

The studs have to run PARALLEL to the wing tube, otherwise you will have to have an elongated hole for the studs to pass through.

It doesn't take a lot to hold the wings up to the fuse side until you start doing some axial manuevers, then centrifugal forces demand more strength. BUT, and this is a big BUT, it does take quite a bit of strength to keep the wings from rotating on the wing tube..... On a large scale plane, I would never use NYLON BOLTS.... just too risky. Even when using wooden anti rotation pins, I have never used them on large scale planes. I have only used them to hold the wing on a trainer airplane and maybe other 40 to 60 size glow planes.

I just wanted to also mention that in reallity, a #6 bolt is probably more than strong enough, a #8 is definitely plenty, but most feel comfortable with a #10. If you can do precision work, make the bolt fit very snug in the hole through the fuse. As far as the wooden backer in the wing root, I use a square hardwood ply, fit a blind nut in the back of it and take a tap and run it through the blind nut and the wooden backer. This way the wood is threaded also.