RCU Forums - View Single Post - Why go 2.4?
Thread: Why go 2.4?
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2007, 08:19 AM
weeber24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why go 2.4?

I have to admit, I'm stuck. I started flying last Spring and now have two planes (Alpha trainer and Pulse XT), but I'm still using the 4-channel radio that came with my RTF package. I really want to get a computer radio, and start looking at planes with retracts, so I need a new radio, but I'm stuck on whether or not I want to go the 2.4 Ghz route.

On one hand, I only have two planes so it's not like I have a lot invested in receivers so going 2.4 Ghz really isn't much of a capital cost. I do like the model-match feature on the DX-7, and people really seem to love the system. Not having to worry about frequency pins and greatly reducing (if not eliminating) shoot-downs is a definite bonus.

On the other hand, getting a 72Mhz synthesized radio (like the JR7202) is appealing because it will fly everything I have now and I'll be able to use cheaper receivers with everything in the future (as opposed to the $100 Spektrum receivers). To be honest, even though the field I fly at is in Atlanta which I imagine if fairly crowded frequency-wise, nobody really has had any problems on 72 and people are good about using the frequency board. I do know that the 7202 is not module based, and I did consider getting a module radio that can be upgraded to 2.4 later, but I don't think that's the best option for someone in my situation.

Really, I don't think there's really a wrong choice between the options for me, but these are the pros/cons that I'm weighing in the decision that I'll be making in the next few months. Right now, I have to say that I'm leaning toward the DX-7, but it only 55%-45% in favor.