RCU Forums - View Single Post - Why go 2.4?
Thread: Why go 2.4?
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2007, 06:46 PM
orenda635

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why go 2.4?

ORIGINAL: scriptt

I don’t understand this assumption that your channel is safe at a field. In my short flying career I have already had two people interfere with my channel at the field when I had the frequency card. With that alone I can’t justify this mentality with a traditional radio. A 2.4 on the other hand, no worries.
Well, there's an inherent risk in of failure using any wireless communication device. Nothing will be 100% safe. The only way to get that would be to have a wire connecting your plane to the controller, and a lot of ferrite magnets.
Spread spectrum systems remove most of the human error element since it's all computerized. Therefore there is no need for careful frequency monitoring.

Anyway, the adoption rate is pretty slow. I'm the only pilot at my club that I know of that has one, out of some 150 members. Many pilots are slow to adopt new technology, either by lack of understanding or financial issues. Even the modules available now aren't exactly cheap.
However, there is a bonus for 72mhz pilots. As more pilots adopt 2.4ghz system, they'll be less traffic on the 72mhz band. 72mhz systems are not obsolete yet.