RCU Forums - View Single Post - Need advice on what would be a good starting RC car/truck.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:08 PM
RCtruckRacer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need advice on what would be a good starting RC car/truck.

walk before you run, read as much as you can.
No to the first part and YES to the second. I am not picking on you comeford2, and I will say there isn't a damn thing wrong with doing as you suggest. However...

You will learn as much in one race as you would in dozens of practice sessions at the track. Yes getting in those laps with few or no people is important to learn the lines, but actually racing is a whole nuther animal. Don't be like me. I had always wanted to try racing, but was too intimidated to try. I knew I sucked, and coming in last isn't very much fun. So I figured I'd practice like mad and then show up and at least be a couple places up from last. The race director convinced me to run in the 'novice' class for my first race, and I was glad he did. I didn't come in last, but I would have had no chance in the regular class. I learned more that day than any 20 days prior. And at the end of the day I could see where much of that practice time I had was wasted, at least from the perspective of helping me at the race.

If you think racing would be fun, there is no reason not to give it a try right off the bat. [8D] Take a few trips to the track to get used to whatever vehicle you get, and get used to the track, and then jump right in.

Then, when you get used to club racing you can try your hand at a large point series race. Such as RC Pro or a ROAR off road race, or you probably have a local series as I do. My first big race is coming up this next weekend. Its a 3 day race (one practice day) with about 150-200 people attending. Currently there are 268 entries. I am racing 2 classes - MT and 1/8th scale buggy.... its pretty addicting