RCU Forums - View Single Post - Air World EE Lightning F2a/6
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2007, 07:24 PM
Gordon W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Air World EE Lightning F3/6

Super photos Dick. The plane looks as tightly packed as the real one. A pity that AW painted the model at Sinsheim black where it should have been “ninety-blue”.

I have a question about how the turbine Lightnings fly. I’ve heard that the MR one dutch-rolls in flight. My small EDF one does that too from time to time. I’m currently drawing up plans for a 120mm EDF version, and naturally don’t want the thing to dutch-roll at all.

So … is it likely that the dutch-rolling could be cured, or at least minimised by using a rate gyro? I’ve ordered one to experiment with, and will use it on rudder to begin with. The rudder on my model is very powerful despite its small size, and the plane will perform an almost axial roll on rudder only – I could fly the thing on just a bang-bang Conquest escapement (remember those?).

The foregoing begs the question that if dutch-rolling is a trait of the existing Lightning models, will the AW version need gyros to prevent it happening? I wonder if there was any mention of gyros in the blurb sheets at Sinsheim?

Sorry for invading your turbine forum with an EDF-based question guys, but as I have the only electric Lightning in the world, there’s no-one else to ask and I know that there’ll be good experience-based advice to be found here.

Gordon